Just as oxygen is an essential part of our living, for living a secured life, we need to possess a driving license as an essential document as a vehicle owner. Absence of which, can lead to heavy penalties and fines. A driving license is a legal document that permits one to drive a specified vehicle. Driving any vehicle without a driving license can land you in difficult situation.
Why is a driving license important?
Talking about India, roads are unpredictable and completely packed with people riding their favourite vehicle. Majority of them are not possessing the license, which puts their life and lives of others on the road in trouble during any mishap. Driving license in India is a permit or a permission by the government authorities to drive a specified category of vehicle on the road, that could be a two-wheeler, four-wheeler, commercial vehicle within territorial boundaries. It clearly authorizes or dictates that the owner knows how to drive the vehicle and has undergone tests that abide by the traffic rules and regulations. Mostly, people buy second hand luxury car to polish their driving skills. Mature adults of above 18 years of age are entitled to get a driving license and anyone below this age, if allowed to drive, is considered as violation, hence their parents will be held legally liable for a charge.
FOUR TYPES OF DRIVING LICENSES IN INDIA:
- LEARNER’S LICENSE– Before owning a permanent license, you’re issued a learner’s license with a validity of up to 6months to polish your driving skills.
- PERMANENT LICENSE– After the 6month period, RTO issues a permanent driving license on clearing the driving exam. This signifies that the authorities are sure of your driving capabilities and you’d be no harm to the people on road.
- COMMERCIAL DRIVING LICENSE– The onus of the commercial driver is higher as they’re accountable for not only their safety but others’ as well as they’ll be involved in transferring passengers or goods via heavy vehicles.
- INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT– This one has a validity of 1 year during which you’re eligible to drive or rent any vehicle in a foreign land.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR LICENSE APPLICATION:
- The candidate must be at least 16 yo for legally using a two-wheeler with engine smaller than 50cc
- They must be at least 18 yo for legally using a two-wheeler with an engine bigger than 50cc or for using a four-wheeler
- They must be 20 yo or more for legally using a commercial vehicle
- They must be aware of all the traffic rules
- They must have a learner’s driving license for a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 180 days before applying for a permanent driving license
For COMMERCIAL DRIVING LICENSE, CRITERIAS are:
- They must have passed 8th standard in school
- Must be at least 18 yo (22 yo in some states)
- Must have learned driving from a government motor school
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR LICENSE APPLICATION:
- For smooth processing of application, one must provide valid learner’s license with the RTO
- Valid Age-proof (birth certificate/ PAN/ Adhaar card/ 10th mark sheet)
- Transfer certificate from a school with the date of birth
- Permanent address proof (Passport/ Adhaar card/ self-owned house agreement/ electricity bill in your name/ LIC bond/ Voter’s ID/ Ration card)
- Current proof of address (Rental agreement and electricity bill/ rental agreement and LPG bill
- Duly filled application form
- 6 passport sized photographs (for learner’s license)
- 1 passport sized photograph (for driving license)
- Medical certificate (mandatory for all over 40 years of age, Form 1A and 1 is to be issued by a certified government doctor)
APPLYING FOR DRIVING LICENSE ONLINE:
- With the technological advancements, online application has been made easy for us by SARATHI website of the Road Transport and Highways ministry.
- Visit the above website, in ‘Sarathi Services’, select ‘New Driving license’
- Read instructions and download the form
- Fill the required details and click ‘Submit’
- In case of minor applicants, the form must be printed out and Part D be filled out and signed by parent/ guardian at the nearest RTO
- Upload copies of required documents
- Web application number is generated on successful submission
- After the application is processed, a notification for the issuance of the learner’s license is sent via SMS to the registered mobile number
APPLYING FOR DRIVING LICENSE OFFLINE:
- Obtain Form 4 from the state transport website or get from the nearest RTO
- Submit duly filled form with required documents to the RTO
- Get an appointment for the driving license test at the RTO
- Pay the fee
- On clearing the test, a driving license will be issued
WAYS TO APPLY FOR INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENSE:
- Obtaining the International driving License is quite easy by providing the filled application form for the license
- Valid Indian driving license
- Receipt of fees paid for international driving license application
- Medical clearance certificate
- Identity proof
- Proof of residence
- Two passport sized photographs
Going for second hand luxury cars in Delhi is considered a wiser option to hone your driving skills or even own a machine that’s way ahead of what it promises to deliver.